18 Nov The ultimate street food guide for Berlin
Berlin offers variety, excitement – Berlin is cosmopolitan and Berlin is cheap. Those are a few attributes that pop into many people’s minds when they think about Berlin. Berlin is well known to its citizens and tourists alike for its good and cheap cuisine. You best learn about a place through its food – a principle known all around the globe. Traditional Berlin cuisine is known for hearty meals and portions to make you full. Classic Brandeburg cuisine – significantly influenced by many immigrants from Silesia, Bohemia, East Prussia, Pomerania and Mecklenburg – is well known for its simplicity and abundance without paying much attention to refinement and being exquisite.
On top of that, over the past 25 years a big number of various nationalities has settled downin Berlin, which enriches the variety of food in Berlin. All these impressions can be experienced in Berlin’s restaurants or even in the street. Today we introduce the top 10 places to go for getting street food in Berlin. Even regarding food Berlin reveals itself to be a creative metropolis, an immigration city with a rich variety of authentic food culture.
1. Street Food Thursday: This special event taking place in Market Hall 9 (Markthalle Neun) in Kreuzberg every Thursday evening from 5pm to 10pm allows every visitor to taste a number of different, mostly home-made specialties.
2. BIG Stuff Smoked BBQ: This special food Truck is usually parked in Eisenbahnstraße 42 and offers an excellent choice of meat specialties. Open Tuesday to Saturday from 12pm on: You should be there early, the day’s ration is quickly gone and you might walk away with an empty stomach.
3. Imbiss Republik (Snack Republic): Present on the streets of Kreuzberg only since this year, finest Taiwanese food is offered there. Every Saturday in Reichenbergerstr. 26 close to the subway Kottbusser Tor.
4. Heißer Hobel (Hot Plane): Is a rolling kitchen offering the biggest culinary culture goods of Allgäu and bringing them to Berlin. You can find out where the vehicle is by checking out its Facebook Page.
5. Curry 36: close to Mehringdamm, a Berlin Institution. For more than 30 years this legendary snack bar exists – which made the classic „Currywurst“ socially accepted in Berlin. A number of celebrities have already been here. Open 24/7.
6. Bite Club: was founded in 2013. The event takes place every second Friday a month on the bathing ship and you can find a lot of local and international specialties here.
7. Taco Kween: This driving vehicle brings Mexican specialties to the streets of Berlin. Barbacoa, Cochinita and Tacos are only a few of the offered specialties.
8. Tadim Doner: A typical doner kebap for Berlin. Tadim Döner at „Kottbusser Tor“ is especially known for its extraordinary meat quality.
9. Hello Good Pie: The extraordinary pie creations have won several regional prizes. The street shop can be found in Falckensteinstrasse. 9 in Friedrichshain.
10. Buns Mobile: The truck is constantly touring through Berlin. You can find out about its current location on Facebook and Twitter. You will get the best burgers, sandwiches and grilled pork belly here.